On June 1st, 2021, Brane Capital President Jerome Dwight and Som Seif, CEO of Purpose Investments, participated in a virtual event as part of Canada’s Top 40 Under 40 Leaders Series, focused on emerging trends in blockchain technology and cryptocurrency.
Dwight and Seif are both alumni of the Canada’s Top 40 Under 40 awards, which bring together C-suite leaders from the private and public sectors.
Key insights from the discussion include:
- The blockchain and cryptocurrency sectors are evolving rapidly, as large companies and institutions develop new use cases, new technologies are developed, and investor demand grows. This rapid growth and change create significant challenges for regulators in Canada and around the world, and potentially put investors at risk as unregulated players emerge around the world.
- Custodians are a critical function in the financial ecosystem, providing key protections for all market participants. Brane is adapting the traditional role of a trusted custodian in order to provide safekeeping of cryptocurrencies, the world’s newest asset class.
- Canada has an opportunity to become a world leader in smart regulation of blockchain – creating economic opportunity, providing confidence for market participants, and protecting retail investors.
- The developing crypto sector has an opportunity to put customer experience at the forefront of technology development. Blockchain can reduce friction, eliminate delays, and drive down the costs of exchanging value.
- The environmental sustainability profile of blockchain will evolve as networks like Ethereum transition to a proof-of-stake model that uses minimal energy compared to Bitcoin’s proof of work structure. In addition, an opportunity exists for crypto miners to transition to alternative energy sources that further improve the sustainability of blockchain.
On June 8th, Dwight will be featured at Global DCA’s Crypto Connection 2021 conference, whose speakers include prominent crypto investors Mark Cuban and Mike Novogratz. Participants can register to access the panel discussion and conference at: https://bit.ly/2QOIcMG
Recent milestones announced by Brane include: